(vegetarian, nut free, soy free, can be gluten free)
This easy homemade cornbread is sweet, savoury, crumbly, buttery, and perfect as a side for chilli or soup. It can also be made into cornbread muffins (see the recipe notes)!Print
Easy Homemade Cornbread
- Total Time: 40 mins
- Diet: Vegetarian
A simple cornbread recipe! Can be made into cornbread muffins (see note below).
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup white sugar (or 1/2 cup brown sugar if you like it less sweet)
- 1/2 cup butter, melted & cooled (or vegan butter)
- 2/3 cup milk
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 375F. Lightly oil/butter a pie dish (cast iron skillet would likely also work).
- In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, sugar, melted & cooled butter, and milk.
- Once well combined, fold in cornmeal, flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Pour mixture into pie dish, and bake for around 30 minutes, until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let cool before slicing and serving! Best served with a slab of butter.
To make these into cornbread muffins, simply place the batter into muffin tins and bake for 15 minutes (until toothpick comes out clean).
For Gluten Free: Use gluten free all-purpose flour
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Category: Cornbread
- Method: Bake
Categoriesappetizers + sides lunch + dinner nut free snacks vegetarian