(egg free, can be vegan, gluten free, nut free)
Cake you can make in the microwave… enough said, but I’ll go on. She’s fluffy, spongey, light, simple, and fits perfectly into your favourite mug. I have to say though, taste/texture aside, my favourite part of this recipe is watching it magically puff up in the microwave (without an egg!). Vegan, gluten free, and nut free options available in the notes section below!Print
Chocolate Chip Mug Cake
- Total Time: 5 mins
- Yield: 1 mug cake 1x
A fluffy, spongey, light mug cake that can be made in approximately 5 minutes, without the help of an egg! All you need are the ingredients, a mug, and a microwave. Top with whatever you desire!
- 1/3 cup flour* (all-purpose, whole wheat, 1:1 GF all-purpose, buckwheat, oat)
- 1 1/2 tbsp granulated sugar (white or brown, depending on desired sweetness)
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- pinch of cinnamon or nutmeg (optional)
- 1/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 1 tbsp chocolate chips
- In a mug, mix together the flour, sugar, baking powder, salt, and (optional) cinnamon/nutmeg.
- Mix in the milk and vanilla. Fold in the chocolate chips.
- Cook in microwave for around 1 minute. This time depends on your microwave – if it doesn’t look fluffy and light after the 1 minute (still a bit liquid), I recommend cooking in 10 second intervals until the cake is cooked through.
- Let cool, and top with nuts, ice cream, coconut, berries, icing, cereal, homemade caramel, whipped cream, homemade nut butter, or whatever you desire!
*Results will vary depending on which type of flour you use. For the fluffiest/lightest mug cake, use all-purpose. If you would like to use almond flour, I recommend using less milk and oil.
Make it Vegan: Use plant milk & vegan chocolate chips (e.g. Enjoy Life Brand)
Make it Gluten Free: Use gluten free flour (GF 1:1 all-purpose, buckwheat, oat, almond, etc.) and gluten free chocolate chips (e.g. Enjoy Life Brand)
Make it Nut Free: Use a nut free flour and a nut free milk
- Prep Time: 4 mins
- Cook Time: 1 min
- Category: sweets
- Method: microwave
Keywords: mug cake, vanilla, chocolate chips, chocolate, cake, sweets, dessert
Delicious!!! Thanks Meg!