(vegetarian, soy free, can be dairy free, can be vegan, can be gluten free)
If you like tacos, salads, and easy meals, you will LOVE this black bean taco salad recipe! It’s fresh, crunchy, flavour packed, and full of healthy fats and protein. Drizzle on some spicy cashew dressing and BAM you have yourself an epic bowl of deliciousness. I could eat this everyday!
What you need for the Black Bean Taco Salad:
- romaine lettuce
- tortilla chips
- black beans
- shredded cheddar cheese
- red onion
- sour cream for topping (optional)
What you need for the Spicy Cashew Dressing:
- water (for soaking the cashews and more for the dressing)
- chilli powder
- garlic powder
- ground cayenne
- ground cumin
How long does it take to make black bean taco salad?
This black bean taco salad recipe is incredibly quick and easy. The only part that takes some waiting is soaking the cashews (they soak for around 1 hour), but this can be done beforehand or even the morning of! Other than that, the actual taco salad part takes maybe 10 minutes to make (or less, depending on how speedy you are!).
It’s perfect for a weeknight dinner when you don’t have much time to cook, or for meal prepped lunches!
How do I make this gluten free?
Use gluten free tortilla chips! If you can’t find these, try a thin gluten free cracker. You can also try making your own gluten free chips: cut gluten free tortillas/wraps into triangles, bake for 10 minutes at 350F, let cool, and crunch them up!
How do I make this vegan?
Omit the shredded cheese, or try using a dairy free shredded cheese alternative. As well, omit the sour cream.
How do I make this nut free?
There are a few options here:
1) Omit the spicy cashew dressing. 2) Replace the spicy cashew dressing with guacamole or salsa to add some extra flavour! 3) Make a nut free dressing by replacing the cashews with sunflower seed butter, plain yogurt, or sour cream (I can’t vouch for these substitutions, but they should balance the flavours/textures well).
ENJOY! LET US KNOW HOW YOU LIKED THIS RECIPE IN THE COMMENTS BELOW OR BY TAGGING @MADEBYME.G ON INSTAGRAM!Print
Black Bean Taco Salad with Spicy Cashew Dressing
- Total Time: 75 mins
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
Black bean taco salad, drizzled with a spicy cashew dressing – quick and easy, packed with flavour, crunch, healthy fats, and protein!
For the spicy cashew dressing:
- 1/2 cup cashews, soaked in boiling/hot water for ~1 hour
- 1/2 cup water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1/2 tsp paprika
- 1/2 tsp chilli powder
- 1/4 tp garlic powder
- 1/4 tsp ground cayenne
- 1/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/4 tsp salt (fine/table)
For the taco salad:
- 1 head (~4 cups) romaine lettuce, chopped
- 2–3 cups tortilla chips, crunched
- 1 can (~2 cups) black beans, drained & rinsed
- 2 cups tomatoes, chopped
- 2 cups corn
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- flesh of 1 avocado (~1 cup), cubed
- 1–2 tbsp red onion, finely chopped
- sour cream (optional – for topping)
FOR THE SPICY CASHEW DRESSING:
- Soak the cashews as directed: In a small bowl, soak the cashews in boiling/hot water (enough to cover the cashews, ~1 cup) for ~1 hour, until soft. You can also do this the morning of or the night before, or make the entire dressing beforehand!
- In a small food processor or blender, blend the soaked cashews, water, and lemon juice until smooth (if it looks chunky, keep going!). Add the paprika, chilli powder, garlic powder, cayenne, cumin, and salt and blend or mix until well combined and smooth.
FOR THE TACO SALAD:
- Chop and prepare ingredients as directed.
- Add all ingredients to one large serving bowl OR serve it buffet style where people can add what they want to individual bowls. Top with sour cream (optional) and the spicy cashew dressing and enjoy!
Make it Gluten Free: Use gluten free tortilla chips, crackers, or make your own by cutting up some gluten free tortillas/wraps, baking for 10 mins at 350F, and crumbling!
Make it Vegan: Omit the cheese, or use a dairy free cheese alternative.
Make it Nut Free: Omit the spicy cashew dressing, or replace it with guacamole or salsa to add some extra flavour! You can also make a nut free dressing by replacing the cashews with sunflower seed butter, plain yogurt, or sour cream (I can’t vouch for these substitutions, but they should balance the flavours/textures well).
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Soak Time (for cashews): 60 mins
- Category: Taco Salad
Keywords: vegetarian taco salad, black bean taco salad, healthy taco salad, loaded taco salad, easy salad recipe, easy meal recipes, healthy meal recipes, healthy dinner recipes, taco salad recipe, taco salad, spicy cashew dressing, taco salad with cashew dressing, taco salad with spicy cashew dressing, black bean taco salad with spicy cashew dressing, spicy cashew sauce, 15 minute meals, 15 minute dinner, quick healthy meal ideas