(gluten free, vegetarian, soy-free, peanut-free, can be vegan/dairy free, can be nut free)
If you’re looking for a way to spruce up your salad game, this Blueberry Apple Pecan Salad is it! The simple vinaigrette is tart yet sweet, and the blueberries and apples add nice contrasts in texture and flavour. I love this salad as a starter or side dish, but it also works great as a lunch with a protein like chicken mixed in.
Ingredients you’ll need for this Blueberry Apple Pecan Salad:
- spinach and/or arugula
- apple (or pear)
- pecans (or walnuts)
- feta cheese
For the vinaigrette dressing:
- neutral-tasting oil (olive, avocado, canola, safflower, sunflower)
- vinegar (red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar)
- dijon mustard
- lemon juice
- white granulated sugar
- salt & pepper
How do I make this salad vegan?
Simply omit the feta cheese. You’ll unfortunately lose some of the flavour (mainly salt) and texture, but the salad will still be tasty! You can try adding some dairy free cheese, or even making a vegan cheese substitute like homemade vegan parmesan (or I’m sure there’s a homemade vegan feta out there somewhere!!).
How do I make this salad nut free?
Replace the pecans with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds! Although it’s not the same texture, you’ll get a similar nuttiness that will compliment the other flavours in the salad.
Other salad recipes:
Other salad dressing recipes:
Blueberry Apple Pecan Salad
- Total Time: 15 mins
- Yield: 8 cups salad (4–6 servings) 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
This blueberry apple pecan salad is super refreshing, both tart and sweet, and so easy to make!
FOR THE VINAIGRETTE DRESSING:
- 1/2 cup oil of choice (neutral flavoured – olive, canola, avocado, safflower, sunflower, etc.)
- 1/4 cup vinegar of choice (red wine vinegar, apple cider vinegar, or white vinegar)
- 1 tbsp water
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp dijon mustard
- 1 tsp white sugar
- pinch of salt (to taste)
- pinch of black pepper (to taste)
FOR THE SALAD:
- 8 cups spinach and/or arugula
- 1 cup blueberries, rinsed
- 1 cup apple (or pear), chopped
- 1/2 cup pecans (or walnuts)
- 1/2 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- Make the vinaigrette dressing: Mix (whisk or shake) all the dressing ingredients together in a glass jar. Store in the fridge while you prepare the rest of the salad. (The vinaigrette dressing can be stored in a sealed container in the fridge for about one week).
- In a large bowl, toss together the spinach and/or arugula, blueberries, apple, pecans, and feta. Keep the dressing separate from the salad until you’re ready to serve/eat it!
- To serve: Drizzle the vinaigrette dressing onto the salad and toss so that everything is evenly coated with the dressing.
Make it Vegan: Omit the feta. You’ll lose some of the flavour (mainly salt) and texture, but the salad will still be tasty! If you’d like, you can try adding in some dairy free cheese.
Make it Nut Free: Replace the pecans with sunflower seeds or pumpkin seeds! Although it’s not the same texture, you’ll get a similar nuttiness that will compliment the other flavours in the salad.
- Prep Time: 15 mins
- Category: Salad
Keywords: blueberry apple pecan salad, blueberry apple pecan feta salad, healthy apple pecan salad, healthy fall salad recipe, peanut free salad recipe, easy healthy arugula salad, healthy spinach blueberry salad, healthy apple spinach salad, spinach arugula salad recipe, spinach blueberry feta salad, healthy gluten free salad with blueberries