(vegetarian, gluten free, nut free, soy free, dairy free option)
These Quinoa Veggie Egg Cups are one of my favourite recipes to prep for the week! They’re great for breakfast or a snack, and are packed with veggies, protein, and whole grains. They’re also very customizable and a great use for leftover veggies!
Ingredients you’ll need for these Quinoa Veggie Egg Cups:
- low sodium vegetable broth
- oil (if you choose to fry the vegetables)
- yellow onion
- red bell pepper
- large eggs
- milk of choice
- ground black pepper
- shredded cheddar cheese
Rinse the quinoa before cooking!
Rinsing quinoa with water before cooking it removes saponin, an undesirable bitter-tasting compound that coats the quinoa seeds. You can easily do this by using a fine sieve and rinsing the quinoa under the sink. Then place it in a cooking pot, add the low sodium vegetable broth, and you’re good to start cooking!
Sauté the vegetables for more flavour
This step is optional, but sautéing the vegetables (onion, garlic, and red bell pepper) will add a more flavour to your quinoa veggie egg cups! Just cook them in some oil on medium heat until they are softened (but don’t overcook them!).
Make them dairy free with plant-based milk & cheese
You can easily use plant-based milk (soy, oat, etc.) in this recipe, as well as plant-based cheese. The cheese may not melt as well as regular cheese, but it should have a similar taste/effect.
Use any vegetables you have on hand!
This recipe is very versatile in terms of the vegetables you choose to use. You could add in cooked mushrooms, broccoli, cauliflower, asparagus, anything! If you are going to use something like broccoli, I would definitely cook it a bit before you place it in the egg mixture and bake it.
Other recipes you may enjoy:
- Breakfast Tacos with Spicy Cashew Sauce
- Creamy Salmon Dill Pasta Salad
- Granola Cluster Cookies
- Oatmeal Cookie Energy Balls
Quinoa Veggie Egg Cups
- Total Time: 47 mins
- Yield: 18 cups 1x
- Diet: Vegetarian
An easy meal prep breakfast or snack for busy weeks!
- 2 cups low sodium vegetable broth
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa, rinsed (~4 cups when cooked)
- 1 tbsp oil (only if you choose to fry the vegetables)
- 1/4 cup yellow onion, minced
- 2 tsp (~2 cloves) garlic, minced
- 1 cup red bell pepper (~1 pepper), diced
- 6 large eggs
- 3/4 cup milk of choice
- 1/2 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 cup spinach, thinly sliced
- 1 cup (plus extra for topping) shredded cheddar cheese
- Cook the quinoa according to package instructions (make sure you rinse the quinoa prior to cooking!). If you don’t have low sodium vegetable broth, just use water to cook the quinoa!
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease 2 muffin tins.
- Meanwhile, chop the vegetables. If you have time and want to sauté the vegetables (this adds more flavour, but is optional), just heat a tablespoon of oil on medium heat and cook the onion until softened, then add the garlic and bell pepper and cook until softened.
- In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and ground black pepper until well combined. Using a large spoon or spatula, fold in the cooked quinoa, onion, garlic, bell pepper, spinach, and shredded cheddar cheese, and mix until all ingredients are evenly distributed.
- Spoon the mixture into the muffin tins, filling ~18 cups (fill to the top of each cup). Sprinkle each cup with a bit of extra cheese.
- Bake for ~22 minutes, or until the eggs are cooked/set (and the cheese is melted). Let cool for at least 5 minutes before removing from the tin and serving.
- Store in a sealed airtight container in the fridge for up to 5 days.
Make it Dairy Free: Use dairy free milk (soy, oat, etc.) and dairy free shredded cheese!
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 37 mins
- Category: Eggs
- Method: Bake
Keywords: quinoa veggie egg cups, veggie quinoa egg cups, quinoa egg veggie cups, veggie egg quinoa cups, gluten free egg cups, nut free egg cups, easy breakfast egg cups, easy egg cup recipe, easy egg muffins, easy breakfast egg muffins, breakfast egg cups, vegetarian egg cup recipe, vegetarian egg breakfast, vegetarian egg cups, egg cups with quinoa, egg cups with vegetables, veggie egg cups, quinoa egg cups, vegetarian egg cup recipe, healthy egg cup recipe, healthy egg cups, healthy veggie egg cups, high protein egg cups, healthy quinoa egg cups, quinoa breakfast recipe, veggie egg bake, quinoa veggie egg bake