(gluten free, nut free, dairy free, soy free)
This honey mustard mushroom chicken is a super simple and delicious way to prepare chicken. Great with a side of rice or pasta and vegetables!
Ingredients you’ll need for this Honey Mustard Mushroom Chicken:
- vegetable oil
- chicken breast
- ground black pepper
- unsalted butter
- dijon mustard
- grainy mustard
- lemon juice
Sear/brown the chicken before baking
Browning the chicken before baking it gives the chicken a lot more flavour! The intention is not to fully cook the chicken before baking it (that would just dry it out), but to brown the outside of the chicken in a hot, greased pan to increase the flavour and improve the texture. It creates a nice browned outside and a juicy, tender inside.
This chicken recipe is great served with a serving of grains and a side of vegetables. Here are some suggestions:
- Rice/quinoa/pasta and a vegetable salad
- Potato salad and asparagus/broccoli
- Pasta salad (you could use this Creamy Salmon Dill Pasta Salad and omit the salmon)
More chicken recipes:
- Tomato Pesto Chicken
- Orange Cashew Chicken (by Gathered Nutrition)
- Creamy Pesto Pasta with Chicken & Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Honey Mustard Mushroom Chicken
- Total Time: 50 mins
- Yield: 4–6 servings 1x
- Diet: Gluten Free
A quick and easy chicken recipe, with a honey mustard glaze and mushrooms.
- 2–3 tbsp vegetable oil (for browning the chicken)
- 4 large chicken breasts, cut into strips (~4 strips per breast)
- ground black pepper, to taste (optional)
- 1 tbsp unsalted butter + 1 tbsp vegetable oil (for sautéing the mushrooms)
- 2 cups mushrooms, chopped
- 3 tbsp honey
- 3 tbsp dijon mustard
- 3 tbsp grainy mustard
- 3 tbsp lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375F. Grease a baking dish with oil.
- Brown the chicken: Place a large pan with 1-2 tbsp oil over medium-high heat. Once the oil is hot, carefully place around 4-5 chicken strips into the pan, being careful not to overcrowd the pan. Brown each side of the chicken strips for 3-4 minutes per side. You may season the chicken with ground black pepper while it’s browning in the pan. The chicken shouldn’t be fully cooked through, this step is just to brown the outsides before you bake it!
- Sauté the mushrooms: Add 1 tbsp butter and 1 tbsp oil to a different pan and bring to medium heat. Add the chopped mushrooms and cook until just softened.
- Make the honey mustard sauce: In a small bowl, mix together the honey, dijon mustard, grainy mustard, and lemon juice.
- Assemble in the baking dish: Place the browned chicken and sautéed mushrooms into a greased baking dish and top with the honey mustard sauce, ensuring each piece of chicken is coated.
- Bake for 30 minutes, until the chicken has reached an internal temperature of 165F.
- Serve warm! This pairs really well with rice or pasta and a side of greens (broccoli, asparagus, a salad).
- Store in a shallow airtight container in the fridge for 2-3 days.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 40 mins
- Category: Chicken
- Method: Bake