(vegan, gluten free, dairy free, vegetarian, soy free)
This cinnamon apple walnut oatmeal is one of my favourite quick and easy breakfast recipes. It’s made in the microwave (but can be made stovetop if you’d prefer), and uses minimal equipment. It is also high in fibre (which helps keep you full), making it a hearty breakfast for busy days. Goes well with a hot cup of coffee or tea!
Ingredients for this cinnamon apple walnut oatmeal:
- quick cooking oats
- ground flaxseeds (or hemp/chia seeds)
- nutmeg (optional)
- milk of choice
- peanut butter (optional)
Equipment for this cinnamon apple walnut oatmeal:
- small bowl
- 1/2 cup measuring cup
- pairing knife
- cutting board
How do you make microwave oatmeal?
I always cook my oatmeal in the microwave because it only takes 90 seconds! All you do is mix together quick cooking oats and milk (plus ground flaxseeds and cinnamon if you want extra fibre and flavour), cover with a microwave cover, and microwave for 90 seconds. Then mix in more milk until you reach a consistency you like, and top with whatever toppings you like.
Overnight version (for busy mornings):
If you want to make this recipe even quicker to make in the morning, simply mix together the oat/milk/flaxseed/cinnamon in a small serving bowl, cover, and place in the fridge the night before. Then all you have to do in the morning is microwave it for 90 seconds and add in extra milk and toppings!
More oatmeal recipes:
- Microwave Chocolate Chip Oatmeal
- 5-Minute Microwave Oatmeal
- Oatmeal Cookie Energy Balls
- No-Bake Chewy Granola Bars (by Gathered Nutrition)
Cinnamon Apple Walnut Oatmeal
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 serving 1x
- Diet: Vegan
Cinnamon oatmeal topped with apples, walnuts, and peanut butter. Packed with fibre and can be made in a microwave, or stovetop if you prefer.
- 1/2 cup quick cooking oats
- 1 tbsp ground flaxseed (or hemp/chia seeds)
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- dash of nutmeg (optional)
- 1/2 cup milk of choice (+ extra until reach desired consistency)
- apple, chopped
- walnuts, chopped
- peanut butter (optional, but highly recommended!)
- In a small bowl (the bowl you plan to eat out of), mix together the quick cooking oats, ground flaxseed, cinnamon, nutmeg, and milk (start with 1/2 cup milk – you can add more later).
- Cover bowl with microwave cover (to prevent splattering), and microwave for 90 seconds (1 minute 30 seconds).
- Remove from microwave and mix in 1-2 tbsp more milk until you reach a consistency you like.
- Top with chopped apples, walnuts, and peanut butter (or whatever you’d like!).
For Vegan & Dairy Free: Use dairy free milk (soy, oat, almond).
For Gluten Free: Use gluten free quick cooking oats.
- Prep Time: 3.5 minutes
- Cook Time: 1.5 minutes
- Category: Oatmeal
- Method: Microwave
Keywords: cinnamon apple walnut oatmeal, apple cinnamon walnut oatmeal, walnut cinnamon apple oatmeal